Meet the newest LIFTers: Jess and Shelby. Brought on to work with LIFT’s growing East Coast clients, the New York-based creative dream team now makes magic from their homes during quarantine. Get to know them in 20 riveting-ish questions.
1. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST IMPRESSION WHEN TAKING THE JOB AT LIFT?
- J: I noticed that LIFT takes process and organization very seriously. Everyone has an important role with set expectations, and we should always be aligning our work to LIFT’s overall agency goals. The presentations are done really well, we are detail driven and everyone is really proud of the work…and it shows! As a part of the new NYC location and team, I knew it would be an adjustment, but the process and expectations set in place made it a smoother transition. Plus, the people are always looking for new suggestions and ways to keep evolving.
- S: I was overwhelmed by the passion LIFTers radiate. I’ve never worked at an agency where members were so complimentary of creative and account leadership and so excited to come into work everyday!
2. WHAT WORK AT LIFT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
- J: I am really proud of a lot of the recent work we have been doing. The Back to School campaign for Charter has been great to work on, though still WIP, as well as some recent concepts we did for Voterise.
- S: We recently did an email exploratory for Spectrum that turned out beautifully. As a writer, it was fun to work on so many different concepts simultaneously and switch from voice to voice.
3. WHAT KEEPS YOU INSPIRED?
- J: I have my favorite websites that I draw inspiration from, but it’s also so important for me to get away from my desk and get inspired in other ways. I love to paint, decorate, and work on passionate side projects to keep it fun (especially during quarantine!).
- S: A nice long walk always does the trick.
4. HOW HAVE YOU ADJUSTED TO A RELATIVELY NEW JOB DURING QUARANTINE?
- J: For me, It wasn’t that difficult of an adjustment. I worked 1-2 days a week at home at my last job for the past year and set myself up with a nice home office desk area and large screen. I am also very comfortable using Zoom and InVision collaboration tools, which makes all of this a lot easier! Remote working isn’t the same and I miss seeing my coworkers face to face, but I am proud of the agency as a whole in how we are continuing to do our jobs and stay connected daily.
- S: It was an easy transition for me as well. Being in the satellite office, our team was already used to communicating via Zoom, Slack, calls, etc., so I think we had a great baseline for preparedness.
5. NAME YOUR WORKPLACE SUPER POWER.
- J: Collaboration. Working in a silo is necessary to get ideas flowing sometimes, but teamwork is what makes everything come together.
- S: Super power: Cutting down the fluff. Kryptonite: People asking me to spell aloud.
6. WHAT IS SOMETHING YOU LEARNED IN THE LAST WEEK?
- J: I have been learning to do more hand lettering and illustrations on my iPad using Procreate! Highly recommended for designers who love to draw, sketch, doodle.
- S: Clownfish can change their sex. When the alpha female dies, the most dominant male becomes a female and takes her place. (I’ve been sucked into a lot of Wikipedia blackholes this quarantine.)
7. WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE OFFICE SNACK?
- J: It’s a close tie between the Babybel cheeses and a rice cake with cream cheese (I love cheese everything!!).
- S: Life Savers Wint O Green mints.
8. WHAT WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO TELL YOURSELF STARTING OUT IN YOUR CAREER?
- J: The main thing I would say is people are just people. The worst that can happen is they don’t LOVE your idea or design all the time. Not everyone is going to be your biggest supporter, but let that fuel you to do better instead of get you down or take things too personally.
- S: Pick your push-back battles. Most of the time, a client suggestion or an editor changing a word isn’t going to make or break the creative. Let that sh*t go.
9. WHAT’S THE COOLEST (OR MOST IMPORTANT) TREND YOU SEE TODAY?
- J: I am a fan of shareable, quick videos! I love seeing different ways these can grab your attention and deliver an effective message. They are great for recipes and shareable content on social media.
- S: I think a lot of companies are going to be more open to employees working from home post-pandemic and using video calls to stay connected.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING ABOUT WORKING IN ADVERTISING?
- J: It’s always changing and evolving and you can always change and evolve with it. I’ve always been a creative person ever since I was little. I loved to draw and paint and didn’t really know where that would take me careerwise. Advertising allows me to express this creativity in a way that I can make a living, so I feel lucky for that.
- S: It’s just solving puzzles all day! How to sell a product to a specific audience, how to cut down copy to fit a standard character limit, how to make the logo bigger but not be self-serving. Strategic thinking at its finest.
11. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WEBSITE AND/OR SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM?
- J: I spend way too much time on Instagram and I love Refinery29.com.
- S: My credit card would say Amazon.
12. WHO IS YOUR ROLE MODEL AND WHY?
- J: If it’s someone in my life, I know this is a little cliche but I would say my mom. She has been through so much from moving to America with my dad at a young age and starting up a family and life here. She’s also like my best friend and I am so grateful for her!
- S: My creative role model is my dad. I’ve seen him make human-sized Crayola boxes and treehouse replicas of my childhood home. If something could be done, he finds a way, and every detail is perfectly executed.
13. WHICH ARTIST/WRITER DO YOU ADMIRE MOST?
- J: As a big Harry Potter fan, I think J.K. Rowling is just a creative genius!
- S: Tina Fey — love me a smart, funny lady.
14. HOW DO YOU RELAX?
- J: Honestly, wine and the couch! I love watching moves and escaping reality for a bit.
- S: Morning yoga and an afternoon with a good book!
15. IF YOU COULD ONLY READ/WATCH ONE BOOK/MOVIE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, WHAT WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
- J: Movie: Jaws. It’s my favorite movie since I was a kid. I’ve probably seen it over 100 times. Plus, it was shot in Long Island where I live.
- S: The Princess Bride for both. Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles… what’s not to love?!
16. NAME A WORD THAT DEFINES YOU THE MOST.
- J: Caring. I love making other people happy. I tend to overdo it on gifts and generally wear my heart on my sleeve.
- S: Genuine. No airs here, no sir.
17. IF YOU WEREN’T AN ART DIRECTOR/WRITER, WHAT COULD YOU SEE YOURSELF DOING?
- J: Interior designer or event planner. I just LOVE planning and hosting and decorating. I truly enjoy bringing my creative vision to life in so many ways.
- S: Nuclear engineer. I could not think of a more opposite career choice, but I’ve always been interested in alternative energy sources and fascinated by nuclear technology.
18. SHARE SOMETHING ABOUT YOURSELF THAT YOUR COWORKERS WOULD BE SURPRISED TO KNOW.
- J: I am the first born in my family in the United States! Since my whole family lives in Ireland, I try to visit once a year. Also, I play volleyball recreationally on the beach each summer.
- S: I sang in my choir all the way through college (nerd), and the pièce de résistance was performing a masterworks show at Carnegie Hall.
19. FAVORITE TEAM-BONDING ACTIVITY?
J & S: Throwback Thursday SoulCycle classes!
20. SHARE SOME PICTURES THAT SUM YOU UP BEST!